All the difference in the world: the simple hard v the complicated easy
With May’s General Election drawing close, in a guest contribution, Valerie Iles offers her GRACE manifesto for the NHS.
“When we can all:
- Engage effectively with others,
- Grasp the complexity of the situation and see how to contribute rather than compound,
- Respond wholeheartedly and constructively in-the-moment because we feel emotionally ‘full’ instead of empty,
- Care about what matters to our patients and colleagues, and
- Experience a deep sense of personal Agency (this is what I care about and this is how I’m bringing it about), then we will all flourish and so will the NHS. Properly supported, challenged and enabled, people fly, they come into work wanting to be there and looking for ways of doing things better.”
Val is a visiting professor at both Buckinghamshire New University (where she is a member of the Bucks Consulting Group) and at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. She is also a Fellow of the Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP). More here.